Christmas puddings are easy to make and taste better than store bought. This recipe for vegetarian Christmas pudding is exceptionally light and is delicious when smothered in brandy butter. Instead of using suet, I use very hard grated butter which is carefully stirred into the pudding mix.
I use an electric steamer to cook these puddings as it is easy to top up with water and has a useful timer.
Vegetarian Christmas Pudding
Yield 4 Puddings
I love the lightness of this vegetarian pudding - gone are the days of stodgy and overly rich Christmas puddings!
- 175g Wholemeal Breadcrumbs
- 75g Wholemeal flour
- 225g Currants
- 25g Almonds
- 225g Sultanas
- 225g Raisins
- 225g Raw Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 150g Butter (must be very hard - place in freezer for an hour or so) grated
- 3 Eggs
- 1tbs Raw Sugar Marmalade or course grated orange peel
- Grease 2 x 800g pudding basins, plastic or foil are ideal.
- Sieve the wholemeal flour into a large mixing bowl and then tip the remains in the sieve into the bowl also.
- Add the wholemeal breadcrumbs, fruit, nuts, sugar, spices, and mix gently.
- Grate the very cold butter and add to the other ingredients.
- Beat the eggs gently in a bowl or jug and then add these to the dry ingredients with the orange marmalade or orange peel.
- Mix gently until all ingredients are combined together.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the pudding basins.
- Cover each basin with a with a doubled layered circle of buttered, greaseproof paper, following with a square of foil, large enough to fold under the edges of the basins, using a pleating motion to seal. You can wrap completely in foil if you prefer.
- Steam over a pan of hot water or in a steam / slow cooker for about 2-3 hours.
- Allow to cool remove the foil and greaseproof paper.
- Cover again with greaseproof paper and wrap in foil, and store in a cool dry place until required.
To serve, re-steam the pudding for about 30-40 minutes, or microwave the whole pudding for about 2 minutes on full power.
- 2 x 800g pudding basins
Courses Sweets & Desserts