This recipe for spiced vinegar is a foundation ingredient for homemade tomato ketchup. Vinegar, spices – what more can I say about it!
Yield 475 ml
This spiced vinegar is a foundation ingredient for homemade tomato ketchup.
- 500ml malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp mace
- 6 cm cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp allspice berries
- 1 tsp cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 4 dried chillies
- 1 small bay leaf
- Put all the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave to infuse for about 2 hours.
- Strain through a muslin-lined sieve to remove the herbs and spices.
- Pour the vinegar into sterilised bottles or jars and seal tightly.
- The vinegar can be used straight away or stored until required.