I love a cheeky Nandos, but visits are few and far between. So instead I make my own piri-piri chicken. This sauce and marinade keeps for up to a month.
Yield 250 ml
You can make this mild or fiery hot by adjusting the amount of chillies and seeds you use. You can store this in a airtight container for up to one month.
- 6 fresh red chillies
- 3 medium garlic cloves, blanched in boiling water and chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 100ml olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the whole chillies on a roasting tin and roast for about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool enough to handle, cut off the stalk and peel off the skins. For a milder sauce discard some of the seeds.
- Place the chillies in a small saucepan with the remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then blitz into a puree with a hand blender.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one month.
- Shake well before using.