I love salad, especially when the leafy elements are lightly dressed with a tasty French dressing. This is a classic salad dressing that takes just minutes to make. Its easiest if you use a jam jar with a tight lid to shake the ingredients together. You can substitute the vinegar with lemon if you prefer.
Yield 4-6 people
A classic French dressing for salad
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp light olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of fresh ground pepper
- On a board, cut the garlic clove in half lengthwise and then using the heel of a large knife crush the clove.
- Chop it finely and the scoop into the jam jar.
- Place the mustard, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper into the jar and put the lid on and tighten firmly.
- Shake for a minute or two, ensuring that the salt has dissolved.
- Open the jar carefully and taste with a teaspoon and adjust a little more salt or pepper if desired.
- To dress salad leaves, put a small amount, about a tablespoon of dressing into a large bowl and toss the leaves around to lightly coat.