Dill works perfectly with courgette (zucchini) and makes a delicious summer soup.
Courgette & Dill Soup
Yield 4 people
- 8 courgettes (about 700g)
- 1 large onion
- 15g bunch of fresh dill
- 25g butter
- 1 ½ litres chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Roughly chop the onion and add to a saucepan with the butter and cook over a medium heat until they are soft.
- Wash the courgettes, cut of the tops and tails, and then cut into about 2cm chunks and add to the softened onions.
- Wash the dill carefully, reserving a few springs for garnish, and add the remainder to the saucepan.
- Pour over the chicken stock to cover the courgettes and bring to the boil. Add a grind or two of black pepper and about a teaspoon of salt.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the courgettes are soft, but not overcooked.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Using an electric hand blender, blitz the soup until it is a smooth consistency. Be careful not to scald yourself.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and taste, add more stock or a little water if the soup is too thick.
- Garnish with picked fronds of the dill.
- Serve with crusty rolls or French bread.