Chicken and coriander pâté
Yield 40 crostini
This is a versatile pâté made with chicken breast and fresh coriander (cilantro) which I like to serve on toasted croutons. You can make the crostini in advance, when cold, pop them into a freezer bag, squeezing out as much air as possible before sealing.
It also makes a great dip served with pitta chips or spread onto bread with slices of cool cucumber to contrast the richness of the pâté.
- 5 good quality chicken breasts.
- 2 small bunches fresh coriander, washed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 25ml olive oil
- 1 300g tub cream cheese such as Philadelphia
- 4 part-baked baguette
- 60ml olive oil
- Wash and dry the chicken with a piece of kitchen paper.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces about 3-4 cm in size and place in a plastic container.
- Place the half the coriander, all the garlic and the olive oil into a food processor and blitz until the garlic and coriander are chopped into small pieces. Don’t over blitz as you don’t want it to end up in a paste.
- Pour over the chicken, stir well, cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours to allow all the flavours to infuse.
- Heat the oven to 190°C.
- Pour out the chicken onto a baking tray and bake for about 10-15 minutes until cooked.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Wet the top of the baguettes and bake for about 10-12 minutes or according to the instructions on the packet. When cooked, wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
- Place the chicken pieces and about two thirds of the cream cheese in the food processor and pulse until a smoothish consistency. Don’t over process though. If it’s too thick add a little more cream cheese.
- Reserve enough coriander to garnish the finished croutons. Chop the remaining coriander by hand and stir into the pâté.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
- Slice each baguette at a slight angle into 6mm slices. You should get about 16 per baguette.
- Brush both sides of the baguette slices with olive oil; or pour the olive oil on a plate and dip each side of the bread into the oil; then place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10-12 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Transfer the crostini to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Assemble the crostini by spreading each one with pâté garnish with a coriander leaf and arrange neatly on a serving flat, board or plate.