I would usually serve this sorbet as a palette cleanser between courses at a celebration lunch or dinner rather than as a sweet.
Yield 6-8 people
A medium sweet sparkling wine works well and costs less than champagne. Due to the alcohol content this melts very quickly and should be served immediately when removed from the freezer.
- 150g sugar
- 500ml water
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 bottle sparking medium sweet wine (eg Jacobs Creek, Asti Spumante)
- 4 egg whites
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- Dissolve the sugar in the water over a gentle heat. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 3 minutes and leave to cool.
- Stir in the lemon juice, champagne or sparkling wine and pour into a shallow freezer container and freeze until slushy.
- Whisk the egg white until stiff and then whisk in the icing sugar. Whisk this into the champagne mixture until evenly combined.
- Return to the container and freeze until slushy.
- Whisk again and freeze until solid.
- To serve, use a melon baller to form small scoops and serve immediately.